7 Foods for 1 Entire Month?

On the recommendation of a friend, I just finished reading 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess.  I may begin speaking to this friend sometime in the future...  Just kidding.  Really, though, this book has simply wrecked me. Wrecked me.

I have been praying for some time about living a gentler life.  I am not, by nature, a gentle person, so this would have to be Kelly getting out of the way and allowing God to step in. Of course, I was also trying to control exactly what I would let Him have!  How typical. {sigh}

Recent events have forced me to give up some control- specifically over changes at work.  I really wish that i did not need to learn lessons the hard way, but that simply is not the case for this girl.  Anyway, 7 has given me a starting point, a way to loosen the death grip of control I have on my life.  Here's the scoop:

Jen Hatmaker (author, mother, Bible teacher, and all-around pretty-cool-sounding-chick) embarks on a seven month journey with her family.  In each month, she fasts in a different category.  Food in the first month, clothing in the second, and so on.  The seven categories are as follows:


  • Food
  • Clothing
  • Money
  • Stuff
  • Media
  • Wastefulness
  • Busyness


I'm beginning with food because I think it will be the hardest one.  I will likely choose "stuff" for my second month.

How does this work?  For the next thirty days, I will only eat seven foods.  I am still working on my list, but so far I have the following:


  1. Fin Fish
  2. Apples
  3. Peppers
  4. Broccoli
  5. Squash
  6. Cucumbers
  7. Eggs


I will drink water or bone broth-- no tea! (Ack!)  I am allowing salt, pepper, oil, and lemon as my seasonings. No garlic, onions, rosemary, or other yummy stuff.  Also, please notice that bacon is not on my list.  I think this shows how seriously I am taking this fast. On day thirty-one, though...  Watch out! :)

This begins tomorrow, BTW.  Today is for prayer, shopping, and prep.

Au revior, bacon.  So long, burgers.  See you later, avocado!  We'll have lunch in a few weeks.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feast One Hundred Forty-six

Engage!