"Domestic Spying"- Not that I don't care, but...

I really don't care. Perhaps I am being silly, but I really have no expectation of privacy anymore. Do I like it? No. But do I honestly think that there is anything to be done about it? Double no.

I am, if I believe many MSM reports, to be scared of the evil NSA, scared of the evil executive branch, and scared that MY PERSONAL LIFE is in danger of being exposed by the previous two evils.

Again, I have to say that I do not agree with the idea that calls can be wiretapped without due process-- I am just not sure that I really care beyond this disagreement. I choose to put more energy into caring that the abortion rate in this country, while it is dropping, is still 24%. I care more that the homeless girl I pass every day after work might end up forced into prostitution (if she hasn't already) and be at an even greater risk than she is now. I care more that we, as a nation, don't seem to feel the need to adequately compensate the families of our men and women who give their lives for us every day.

I have a VOIP phone, (which I happen to LOVE!) and I know that my convos may be overheard. Why, just last night, I was talking to my SIL, when we both heard a piece of some recording "courtesy call." No idea whose call it was, but it was kinda funny. A few years back, my cousin's neighbor was picking up my cousin's cordless landline phone on a baby monitor. (Since she stole a credit card number from one of her eavesdropped conversations, I am more concerned about THAT than I am about the NSA.) I just don't expect the privacy, sorry.

Out here, I am on camera about 28 times more than the average US citizen living in any other US city. Vegas is not, contrary to popular belief, a place to come if you want to get lost. Maybe that has desensitized me to these little invasions and erosions on personal privacy.

The fact remains that I just fail to see why I should give this energy. I have yet to hear an argument that would convince me to take this any further. Why should this matter to me beyond my not liking it? What is to be accomplished here?

And though my rather fatalistic view of representative democracy prevents me thinking any one candidate can or will make any difference, I will comment on election day, thank you very much!

Comments

wolske said…
Perhaps when someone misinterprets your phone conversation, picks you up and sends you to Gitmo without a laywer or any recourse, maybe then you'll care. I'm not saying that happens today (or has even happened yet), or that it's eminent, but it's where things could end up.

"In Germany they first came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist..." -- I'm sure you remember how that scenario ends, "Then they came for me - and by that time no one was left to speak up."

You may sit comfortably thinking that you have nothing to fear right now, but what happens if the government turns ultra-utlra-insane-ProChoice and they decide "pro-Life beliefs" = "terrorist"? There may not be anyone left to defend you unless we defend the freedoms enshrined in the Constitution for all people today.

[cue eagle soaring, flag flapping, and all that crap]
I understand where this could go, were it a trend. I am just wondering if a mountain is perhaps being made out of a molehill? Fortunately for us, we are ruled by law and not man. And no matter how far man way want to go, he will eventually run smack into law, right?

Popular posts from this blog

Feast One Hundred Forty-six

Engage!

7 Foods for 1 Entire Month?