No TV?

I am sure many people think MJ and I are odd for not having cable TV or Satellite. Ok, maybe people think we are weird for a myriad of other reasons. Anyway, moving on...

I just read about a couple who committed to no television for the first year of their marriage. Not even to watch DVDs. No TV. One Year. Twelve months. Tweny-six episodes of Lost or DH.

I want to do it. I want to take our television and put it away in a closet. Better yet- I could donate it to the Salvation Army.

When I was in high school, our family did this. My mother bribed each of us with $300 for the year. (My father held out for $500)

This was1992, the year that George H.W. Bush was running for re-election. We listened to the debates on the radio, and I had a completely different take on them from my classmates. I didn't get the jokes about Adm. Stockdale being so old. I missed the spin. I was out of the loop, and frankly, better informed for it!

I think that this would be just as true, if not more so, today. After I rambled yesterday about "crisis," I began watching more intentionally. It isn't just the news, that is too easy. The press is a convenient scapegoat. If my only television outlet was, say, at the gym, imagine the good I would do my heart! If, when we came home from work in the evenings, Jon and I had no distraction from the television, what would we accomplish? The possibilities are endless!

Now that I have decided that I want the TV gone, I have to work on ways to convince MJ. I wonder if $500 would do it, or would I have to adjust for inflation? How much would that be? Oh no-- math!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feast One Hundred Forty-six

Engage!

7 Foods for 1 Entire Month?