Wow. All I can say is I will be in good company...

One of my fellow posters over at Worshiptogether.com directed me to a link. It is an essay by Dr. C Matthew McMahon, pastor of Christ Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church is Florida. The website is "A Puritan's Mind," which was my first tip off. Then I read the title if the essay:
The “god” of Arminianism is Not Worshippable

Wow. That pretty much lays it on the line, doesn't it? I will no rehash the essay, you are more than capable of reading it yourselves.

I do, however, want to point out something that really bugs me. While Dr. McMahon gives a good history of Arminianism and the sunsequent declarations of its heresy at the Synod of Dordt, he does some creative Scripture parsing in the seventh paragraph. The verse in question is that bane of sports show producer everywhere, John 3:16. Note:

The Bible, in refuting this, teaches quite a different God. God has predestined only the elect to salvation. These are those for who He “so loved” and “gave” in His beloved Son Jesus Christ (John 3:16).

Dr. McMahon conveniently leaves out something. Anyone? I even did some checking, thinking that maybe there is a Bible outher which leaves out the two words I am missing: World and whoever. Nope, here's what I found:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
From the New International Version.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
King James Version.
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
New American Standard Bible.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
New Living Translation.

God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son. Anyone who believes in him will not die but will have eternal life.
New International Reader's Version. Need I go on? I am intellectually honest enough to admit that what REALLY set me off were the last few paragraphs. First, his "Warning" to readers:

A warning to the reader:

It may be that you are an Arminian. I am very saddened that you have been caught up in thinking that Arminius’ “god” is the real God. However, you have been duped. Satan has used his false teacher to dupe you, along with much of the church today. You are not alone, but you are certainly not in a safe place. Arminianism is darkness, wickedness, evil, and heresy of the worst kind - and you have bought into it. Even scarier, God has allowed you to believe a lie (2 Chronicles 18:21). That should cause you to tremble. Take the Scriptures to heart; as 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12 explains, “God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” If that is not a scary thought for you, dear reader, I do not know what is more frightful. Not only are you believing a lie, God has sent it to you that you may be blinded and condemned in unrighteousness!


And then, farther down was this last bit:

It may even be that you are saying, “But I thought I was believing in the God of the Bible!” Alas, it is most sad that you think so because that simply gives way to demonstrating the quicksand you have fallen into. And it will be very hard and very difficult to accept that you are wrong. Such an “error” has eternal consequences to it. So it would behoove you to make some changes in your thinking, and repent of your current idolatry to serve the Living God. Will you do what the Remonstrants did and decide to reject the God of the Bible for their own “version” of God? If you worship the “god” of Arminianism, of even the “christ” of Arminianism, you must repent and acknowledge the reality that you do not worship the God and Christ of Scripture. You have been sorely deceived in your idolatry! Sure God was right when He rebuked His people for being “destroyed for a lack of knowledge.” Study the Scriptures and learn of the True Christ. Pray for grace to repent, and ask Christ, the Christ of the Bible, to change your heart and mind and to understand the truth of His Word. If you are sincere, He will teach you. If you desire, He will send His sovereign grace to you to aid you.


Is this not exercising free will? If I ask for His grace, am I not reaching for the God who is and has been cotinuously reaching out to me? What does it matter what I desire? Is it not entirely up to Him?

I am by no means a "pure Arminian." My beliefs are heavily influenced by Wesley. However, I claim Christ firstand last. Wesley is simply the system through which I attempt to understand Him. Just as Dr. McMahon uses five point Calvinism. I always did like TULIPs.

When I read this essay, I couldn't help but think about that old joke... the one where St. Peter is giving tours of Heaven to the new arrivals. He insists on quiet at one point, and when asked why, replies, "Because we are coming up on the (insert denomination here) section, and they think they are the only ones here!"

I imagine that, if we evem care about such things once we get there, we may be surprised at the people we find in the Kingdom. Even more, there may be someone surprised to see us, eh?

Comments

Anonymous said…
The word "whosoever" in John 3:16 does not exist in the Greek. I could be translated "the ones believing". Look it up for yourself I am sure you have a Strongs.

Popular posts from this blog

Feast One Hundred Forty-six

Engage!

7 Foods for 1 Entire Month?