Judging a book by its cover

Perhaps I should rephrase that. It is more like judging a blog by its banners.

I read the Wesley Blog, published by evangelical UMC member Shane Raynor. He keeps a pretty extensive blogroll of UMC bloggers, and I check a few out from time to time.

As I wait for the different sites to come up, I find myself glancing at the status bar to see whence their "extras" come. I also find myself reading these blogs with bias when I see certain sites come up, in particular "MakePovertyHistory."

I wonder if most readers actually pay attention to sidebar links and banners? A couple people who were unfortunate enough to stumble upon my blog have commented on my World Magazine link, and I used to have a banner for "National Pro-Life T-Shirt Day" (which has been taken down only because the event was in April).

What assumptions would a total stranger make by looking at my sidebar? Shoot, even my title may be misleading. It is not a reference to my personal leanings (far from it), but merely my geographic placement. Of course, one look at said sidebar would probably clear that up.

I am sure that mine could create bias. That's okay, because I realise that my blog is extremely inconsequential. Shane's blogroll, however, has a lot of blog which are heavily read and commented.

Honestly, I am going to have to check exactly what is over there. If memory serves me, I link to Feminists for Life, World Magazine, ING, and an essay on Christian Libertarians. Pretty straightforward stuff. Pretty self-explanatory, I would think.

I wonder if anyone has ever clicked through to them? What purpose do they serve? I admit to checking sidebars of most of the blogs I read, but then, I have waaay to much time on my hands!

What's in your sidebar? (With apologies to Capital One) What does it say about you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feast One Hundred Forty-six

Engage!

7 Foods for 1 Entire Month?