Christmas yumminess!


There are some things which are oft-maligned in our culture: the postal service, meatloaf, and fruitcake come to my mind. I just don't get it. Granted, the USPS is far from perfect, but I will take it any day over most countries' postal systems. Meatloaf? Well mine is pretty darn yummy-- just ask Jon.

Which brings me to fruitcake. Why has this lovely creation become the butt of so many jokes? Is it because of companies like Cla*ton, and the garbage they try to pass of as confection? Whatever the reason, I am starting a campaign to restore respect to the Noble Fruitcake.

I am starting with this recipe, my great-grandmother's:

White Fruit Cake

3/4 pounds butter
2 c sugar
6 eggs
4 c sifted flour
3 t b powder
1 t salt
1/2 c juice and rind of one lemon
2 T vanilla
8 oz citron
4 rings pineapple (2 red 2 green) (chopped)
2 lb white raisins
2 c + coconut
3/4 lb blanched almonds

Cover raisins with cold water, bring to a boil, drain and cool. Dredge the fruit in 1/2 cup of the flour. Line pans with three layers of brown paper.

Reserve a cup or so of batter before the fruit goes in; smooth over the cakes before baking (this helps prevent fruit from sticking out the top and burning.


Recipe makes four small loaf pans. Bake at 275-300 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

My Gram tells me that the three layers of brown paper is very important to prevent over-browning of the cakes.

This year my gram will not be making these. At 84, she finds the physical labor too taxing. I, on the other hand, have a husband with strong stirring arms. Jon and I will be making these next weekend. Family, do not be surprised to have one show up at your door. It is all a part of my plan. You have been warned.

Comments

Rachelle said…
The recipe looks really yummy! I think the main reason fruitcake has such a bad rap is that, as traditionally made, it doesn't seem to have any real fruit in it! I don't know about anyone else, but that weird jellied kind of fruit they put in fruitcake is just plain gross.

Good luck on your campaign...

Popular posts from this blog

Feast One Hundred Forty-six

Engage!

7 Foods for 1 Entire Month?